Wednesday 19 May 2010

Reading Habits Meme

I found this meme on midnyte reader's blog. I thought this could be fun.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:

Almost never. At best, I eat some chocolate to satisfy my chocaholic side. If I eat snacks while reading, a part of me thinks about my teeth grinding food in my mouth into yummy goo and that's distracting. I like my reading to be completely uninterrupted.

What is your favourite drink while reading?

Earl Grey tea when it's cold outside, and any type of juice when it's hot.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I do not mark my books or borrowed books in any way. If I need to remember something from a book, I write it down. I buy notebooks for the purpose. I am one of those (strange) people who went through university without annotating books - instead, I did some extra writing, apparently, since I was busy writing down page numbers and key words into my notebooks.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
Bookmarks are my friends. I have many bookmarks. I buy them too often, but I like different bookmarks. In fact, I choose bookmarks according to my current mood. I hate dog-ears, just as much as I hate leaving a book flat open.


Fiction, non-fiction, or both?

Mostly fiction. Non-fiction only on subjects I'm interested in, usually biographies, history and science for dummies.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I like to finish at the end of a chapter, but I can also stop at the end of a paragraph if a chapter is very, very long and I don't have time to read it, or I'm too sleepy. But just anywhere? No. I'm weak this way.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
No. It's not a book's fault its author sucks. I just stop reading it and return it to the library. If it's my book and I don't like it, I give it to someone who is interested.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

I try to guess it from the context, or look it up later. If I really don't know what it means and this interfers with my understanding of a story, then I look it up immediately.

What are you currently reading?
Envy by Anna Godbersen.
Oscar's Books by Thomas Wright.

What is the last book you bought?

I bought three books at once: Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier, The Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap and Searching for Pemberley by Mary Lydon Simonsen.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one book at a time?
Usually, just one book at a time because I really need to immerse myself into one story completely. Sometimes, I read two books at a time, but they must be of different genres. I can read fiction and non-fiction at the same time, or a novel and a collection of short stories, but two novels at a time is mostly a no go for me.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
In my bed at night is my favorite time to read, but I also love to read in our garden in the afternoon, in our living room and my mom's room (because she has a wonderful bed - and if she's not at home). I rarely read in the morning.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

Stand alones, mostly, but I am not averse to book series. If it's a very good book series, I'm in.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Yes, of course.

Authors: The Bronte sisters (everyone must read at least one Bronte novel in their lives), Edgar Allan Poe, Oscar Wilde, Cecelia Ahern, Neil Gaiman, Tracy Chevalier, Kate Morton, Anne Rice (only The Vampire Chronicles).

Books: Lately, I've been recommending Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. I always recommend The Collector by John Fowles, The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (my favourite novel) and the works of the Bronte sisters.

How do you organize your books?

By size and authors. All books from the same author must be together. Alphabetical order doesn't matter to me at all.

3 comments:

Julie P said...

Wanted to let you know I have an award for you at my blog!

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

You do? I'm going to check it now!

Jen said...

this was a fun meme! thanks for putting it up