Thursday 9 September 2010

Character Connection: Sookie Stackhouse

This is a wonderful meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader. Every week, you share one literary character that you love with your fellow bloggers. You talk about the character, say why you love them and hope that everyone else will love them too.;) Be sure to post the book’s title and author, and be very careful not to give away spoilers while talking about how much you love your characters.

MY CHARACTER THIS WEEK: Sookie Stackhouse
Sookie is the protagonist of Charlaine Harris’s Southern Vampire Mysteries.

Sookie is a simple young waitress from Bon Temps, but her life is not very simple. She has a special ability – she is telepathic, which means that she can read people’s minds. The people of Bon Temps are mostly uncomfortable around her, because they either think she is crazy, they fear she’ll read their minds or they simple believe she’s a liar and doesn’t have any powers. Sookie resembles an urban myth.

Her simple life becomes less simple and far more complicated when she starts dating a vampire, Bill. She becomes a part of Bill’s supernatural world and encounters many exciting things, as well as a lot of danger.

Sookie is a very brave young woman. She has her fears, but she stands up to them and more or less faces them. She is independent and although she didn’t go to college, as she likes to point out, she is a clever woman, capable of coming up with ideas fast, as well as solving problems. In fact, she could not get a higher education because of her gift of telepathy, as she could hear all other students’ confusing and scattered thoughts, which made her unable to concentrate during tests. She loves to read, especially romance and detective novels, and sometimes uses them to think about a situation. She enjoys sunbathing, dancing, and loves to expand her vocabulary on a daily basis with her word-of-the-day calendar. She is always eager to learn new things and is in general a very happy and optimistic person, although she has a lot on her mind and many things happening in her life.

She is outspoken, romantic and quite resourceful.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have only read the first Sookie book. I have the next seven on my shelf. I really need to get on and read them. I really enjoyed the first book. I love that Charlaine Harris makes her leading ladies readers. Great post.

Blodeuedd said...

I did like Sookie in the books, she was very smart even if she hadn't gone to college. But then she didn't need that

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

You know whenever I find out that the heroine of a book loves to read, it endears her to me even more. It's just a very realistic character trait and well I think everyone should love to read!

Are you familiar with TV Sookie? I think she's different but just as good (although I've only see the first two seasons).

Jan von Harz said...

I have never read the Charlaine Harris's series, but have enjoyed watching True Blood and love Sookie's character. I think you definitely captured what I do know of this character, and I hope someday to read this series.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I actually don't know much about Sookie, so this was a good introduction. It's so interesting that she's telepathic. Can she also read the minds of vampires, or just humans?

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

@Bookworm: I am a fan of True Blood too, so I know the TV Sookie and I just love her. She's very sweet and down-to-earth. And she can kick some ass when necessary.;)

@Enbrethiliel: She can only read human minds, vampires' minds are completely silent to her. She can feel emotions from other supernatural creatures if she tries hard, like werewolves, shifters, but she can't exactly read their minds. But never vampires.

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

I find it hard to believe that you're the first person to write about Sookie! So many people love her!

I've only read two of those books, but I did enjoy them a lot and plan to continue with the series. Of course there's a whole paragraph in the one review I've written devoted to what a great character Sookie is.